Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tuesday, August 26

This morning as the NARAL Pro-Choice America delegate, I handed out "Yes We Can!" cans filled with information on NARAL at our Delegation breakfast. The president of NARAL, Nancy Keenan spoke at the Convention last night and emphasized the critical nature of electing Obama; with the Supreme Court at an ideological tipping point over Roe vs. Wade.

Mark Parkinson the Lt. Governor (who, I was embarrassed to admit, I didn't know) spoke at our breakfast this morning. I guess other people don't know him either as he told a story about being at a fundraising event with a young man. After spending quite a while talking to him Mark asked why he was there. The young man said "My Dad gave a bunch of money so we could have breakfast with the Lt. Governor, why are you here? Mark said it keeps him humble!












The Union Pacific invited the Kansas Delegation to "Train Day" We toured a restored railroad car and they fed us an excellent brunch. While I was on the train a reporter from the Olathe News called me to do an interview. It may be in the paper Wednesday. If anyone sees it--save it for me!

I then went to my much anticipated Emily's List reception. Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, and Michelle Obama were speaking. It was very disappointing--a "special event" nightmare. It was the only event I paid to go to ($50). We stood for three hours, packed into a ballroom with no food, chairs or restroom facilities, unless you left the room and wet back through a LONG and tedious security line. My friend Syd said for $50 we should get a chair!!! We actually left before Michelle spoke because it was three o'clock and we had to catch a bus and be on the Convention floor by 4:00.


The Convention was great tonight. Governor Brian Schwitzer from Montana is a hoot!!! He spoke Monday AM at our Delegation breakfast. I think he was a cheerleader in a former life! Then Governor Sebelius was wonderful, as usual. When she was speaking about renewable energy she said that John McCain does support some renewables--he wants to renew the failed policies of George Bush! Kathleen is very sharp!!!! Go Kansas!!!


















Then Hillary spoke and was excellent too. They handed out Unity, Hillary, and Obama signs for everyone to wave as she spoke. It was an uplifting conclusion to the evening! We could see Michelle and Joe Biden chatting in their box seats from where the Kansas Delegation was seated-she looked lovely as always and Joe and Jill looked good as well!
We then WALKED back downtown to the BNSF train and ended the night with a PARTY there with the Nebraska delegation. It's 12:44AM-- I'm deader tonight!!! I'll try to write a little more tomorrow AM.

2 comments:

JeanH said...

Jan -
How many delegates are from Kansas and where are you all sitting in the convention center?
Jean

Katie :) said...

Thanks for the updates! It's so good to read what you're doing there. Jon and I have been watching the speeches online each night (we've got Biden on right now), and I keep scanning the crowd for you! ;)